Logical Structures for Empirical Sciences

Décio Krause

Department of Philosophy
Federal University of Santa Catarina - Brazil

DOWNLOAD

In this tutorial, we present a general discussion on the relevance of the logical analysis of empirical theories, which is identified with the axiomatization of  the relevant theories, giving special emphasis to physics.  The concept of Suppes Predicate is introduced and some case studies are presented. The role of the “background” set theory used for defining the predicate is discussed. In the last part, a particular topic involving quantum mechanics plus a metaphysics of non-individual entities is discussed.

References:

Browder, F. (ed.), Mathematical Problems Arising from Hilbert Problems, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics, Vol.XXVIII, Providence , American Mathematical Society, 1976.
French, S. and Krause, D., Identity in Physics: A Historical., Philosophical, and Formal Analysis. Oxford , Oxford Un. Press, 2006.
Krause, D., Introduction to the Axiomatic Foundations of Science (in Portuguese), EPU, S.Paulo, 2002.
Magalhães, J. C. M. and Krause, D., "Suppes predicate for genetics and natural selection" Journal of Theoretical Biology 209 (2) 2001, pp. 141-153.
Manin, Yu. I.,  "Mathematical Problems, I: Foundations", in Browder 1976, p. 36.
Manin, Yu. I., "Georg Cantor and his heritage", arXiv:math.AG/0209244 v.1,19 Sept. 2002
Suppes, P., Representation and Invariance of Scientific Structures, Stanford, CSLI Pu., 2002.